Sunday, August 25, 2013

Time Gone By

First time father signing back in from my living room arm chair, where I'm currently watching the phenomena of lay down breast feeding, where Lyla sits straight out on her stomach while Katey lays on her back.  Apparently it helps with gas and spitting up.  My guess is that Superman's parents used a similar approach.  I've dubbed this position "diving into home."  We'll be sending out newborn announcements with this as the picture, so stay tuned!  Not really, that'd be creepy if we did that...

I'm two weeks behind my posting ritual and there's lots to catch the two of you who read this up on (thanks for the support, mom and dad).  Wait...side anecdote I have to share...Katey's now burping Lyla and upon successfully picking up her phone with her feet just now and seamlessly transitioning it to her hands, she let out an "oh yes!"  Yeah, we still know how to party.

I'm day 10 into taking the reins of one of the nighttime feedings and gotta say I love it.  I'm not sure which is more fabulous - being woken up in the middle of REM sleep to a starving baby and stumbling down the stairs to get her bottle, or getting thrown up while rocking her for an hour after she finishes because she's wide awake.  Both are miracles in their own right.  She gets all cute and snuggly when she finally falls asleep as if to say "I know you're tired, but I'm really cute, so deal with."  Master manipulator at such a young age...we're going to have our hands full...



In keeping with our "photo shoot every two weeks of life" goal, we have a new batch of newborn photos for everyone to enjoy, courtesy of a couple of Katey's co-workers who came over and put together another album of female squealing awesomeness - check out some of the photos here, Jenna and McKenzie did a really great job -

http://nwnightingale.blogspot.com/2013/08/sweet-lyla-grace-newborn.html

Katey just called me "blogmaster" - how do you like them apples, other bloggers?!

Anyways, Katey and I celebrated 6 wonderful years of marriage last week, and got to do it with my folks, who were visiting for the weekend, La Provence style.  If you've never been there for dinner, I highly recommend it, and not just because they're paying me to say so (but mainly for that reason):  






Here's a picture of Titus, just so he doesn't get a complex for not being part of the blog so far - he claims he hasn't read it yet, but I found him chewing my laptop power cord the other day, so I have my suspicions he's feeling a little snubbed:


Despite all the events of the past couple weeks, time has seemed to stand still, but in warp speed mode.  It's a bit of a weird paradox - though the nights seem long and days are generally somewhat uneventful (although moving a 600 lb hot tub around a house yesterday was a real treat - thanks Derek), I have to remind myself that this time will fly by in an instant, and be mindful of the fact that Lyla will only be a baby once.  She's already a month old now, and time has already done a Keyser Soze disappearing act ("Like that...poof...[it's] gone").  I found myself wondering what it's like to be my parents, watching their kids raise kids, and how much of a surreal blessing that must be to watch (or maybe a cruel nightmare if we suck at it).  As much as I'm excited to see the personality that starts to come out of Lyla in the coming weeks and months, I'm pretty happy just soaking her in as she is for the time being.

Plus, football season starts in two weeks, so she's the perfect excuse for sitting in my underwear on the couch all day...Go Niners!        


No comments:

Post a Comment